Other Opportunities for Enjoying Chess
State Chess Championship Tournaments (scholastic)
The Ohio Scholastic Chess Association oversees five championship tournaments every year, which are typically played at different sites in Ohio from year to year:
- Girls Championship: 5-round, 1-day tournament, normally played between late February and early May, in one Championship section (K-12 Open); additional rated or non-rated sections may be offered at the organizer’s option
- Elementary Championship: 5-round, 1-day tournament, normally played in March or April, in three sections: Primary Championship (K-3), Elementary Championship (K-6), and Elementary Reserve (K-6 U500), sometimes with a non-rated section as well
- Middle School Championship: 6-round, 2-day tournament, usually played in conjunction with the High School Championship in March or April, in two sections: Championship (K-8 Open), Reserve (K-8 U800)
- High School Championship: 6-round, 2-day tournament, usually played in conjunction with the Middle School Championship in March or April, in two sections: Championship (9-12 Open), Reserve (9-12 U1000)
- Grade Level Championships: 5-round, 1-day tournament, normally played on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, with each grade (K through 12) as a distinct section (all players must play in the section for their grade)
For more information about these tournaments, visit the Ohio Scholastic Chess Association website.
Open Chess at the Library (non-rated recreational play, all ages)
The Symmes Township branch of the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County offers a program of open play on every Tuesday evening from 6:30 until 9:00 pm. The Symmes library is located on Enyart Road just off Montgomery Road. Originated by one of the CSC founders in January 2006, this program has continuously offered the opportunity for people of any age to drop in whenever they want to play games recreationally, get some coaching from more experienced players, or learn the game from scratch in an informal and unstructured setting.
Cincinnati Chess Club (rated play, all ages)
The Cincinnati Chess Club meets regularly on Friday nights in Deer Park from 6:00 until 11:00 pm. Players of all ages and skill levels are welcome. See the Cincinnati Chess Club website for complete information.
Clermont County Chess Club (rated play, all ages)
The Clermont County Chess Club meets regularly on Tuesday nights in Withamsville beginning at 6:00. Players of all ages and skill levels are welcome. See the Clermont County Chess Club website for complete information.
Dayton Chess Club (rated play, all ages)
The Dayton Chess Club (18 West 5th Street, Dayton) hosts a quick tournament on most Friday nights (whenever it isn’t preempted by a major tournament) and typically offers a Pawn Storm tournament on one Saturday each month when there isn’t any other tournament scheduled at the club for that month. See the Dayton Chess Club website for complete information.
Chess Activity in Other Places
Our site is not an official clearinghouse of chess-related information; we provide information only about events that come to our attention. Listed to the left are a number of links to other websites that might be of interest. By exploring these you might find other opportunities to play or study chess, in the Cincinnati area or elsewhere in and around Ohio.