The 56th Cincinnati Open will be played on March 27-29, 2020 at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Blue Ash. This is a 5-round Swiss in four sections. No smoking, no computers. Use the navigation links below to find detailed information.
The FIDE section is the strongest section and will be FIDE rated. In 2019 this section had 26 players, of whom 15 were rated as National Masters or higher. There are three under sections: U2100, U1700 and U1300. Note that the schedules and time controls are different for the FIDE section, on the one hand, and for the under sections, on the other hand. Please be sure that you are looking at the correct information for the section you are interested in. For details, click here for the FIDE Section Description and here for the Under Section Description.
Back to Top
The total tournament prize pool is $8,000, based on 150 paid entries; otherwise prizes will be paid in proportion but not less than 50% of the amounts listed below. Prizes will be split among tied players except that a player who qualifies for more than one prize will be paid the larger prize for which he or she qualifies.
|Section Place Prizes||Under Prizes|
|FIDE: $950 – 650 – 475 – 350||Top under 2200: $300 – 250|
|U2100: $650 – 475 – 350 – 250||Top under 1900: $250 – 200|
|U1700: $475 – 350 – 250 – 175||Top under 1500: $200 – 150|
|U1300: $350 – 250 – 175 – 175||Top under 1100: $175 – 125|
Entry Fees and Discounts
The entry fees for all sections are $109 in advance, $120 onsite, and $50 to re-enter. Each re-entry counts as ½ paid entry for prizes; see the respective section description pages for restrictions pertinent to re-entries. For GMs, IMs, WGMs, WIMs there is no entry fee; $109 less any applicable discount will be deducted from any prize won.
Veterans of the Cincinnati Open may take one (but not both) of the following loyalty discounts:
- A List Discount: Those who played in the 2019 Cincinnati Open may take a $10 discount.
- B List Discount: Those who did not play in the Cincinnati Open in 2019 but played in any year from 2012 through 2018 may take a $5 discount.
Click here to see the A & B Lists.
Ways to Enter
Players may enter in advance by mail using this entry form and paying the entry fee by check payable to “Cincinnati Scholastic Chess”. Players may also enter online, paying by means of a PayPal account or credit card. Click here to enter the FIDE section online. Click here to enter an under section online. All advance entries must be received by noon on Friday, March 27.
Players may enter onsite and pay with cash, credit card, or check payable to “Cincinnati Scholastic Chess”. Onsite entries will be taken during the following periods:
- Friday, March 27, 5:30–6:30 pm to enter any section and any schedule.
- Saturday, March 28, 8:00–10:00 am:
- To enter the FIDE Section 2-day schedule.
- To enter the FIDE Section 3-Day schedule with a half-point bye for the Friday, 7 pm round.
- To re-enter the FIDE Section (i.e., change from the 3-day to the 2-day schedule after playing the Friday, 7 pm round; see the FIDE section description page for restrictions pertinent to re-entries).
- To enter the U2100, U1700 or U1300 Section with a zero point bye for the Friday, 7 pm round. Players must enter before 9:00 am to be paired in the Saturday 9:30 am round. Players entering after 9:00 am will be given a half-point bye for the Saturday 9:30 am round.
- To re-enter the U2100, U1700 or U1300 Section with a zero point bye for the Friday, 7 pm round. Players wishing to re-enter an under section must do so before 9:00 am (see the under section description page for restrictions pertinent to re-entries).